Sunday, June 8, 2008

Breathe in...

So I'm up here in Seattle and lo and behold, I discover there is a scanner available! Here is about a third of the stuff I scanned the other night. Something old and something new, stuff from high school sketches from work and all that. Hope you like some of it.



I did this sketch on a printout of an E-Mail from my supervisor at work. God bless photoshop, it was a piece of cake to eliminate all of the text (The character was drawn OVER the words of the E-Mail). The guy on the right is just a boredom doodle, as the focus here is the Red Ranger. It's Morphin' Time!





My first serious sketch of three of the main mob bosses from my fictional Mexico. Left to right we have Hector Huitzil, Javier Castillo and Ignacio Cruz (Nacho). I was mostly trying to get an idea of how they would look standing near each other.

My first sketches of before/after ideas for the mob bosses. We additionally have Sanchito Acero down at the bottom. The "before" versions are supposed to be what they look like as Julio is just becoming a member of the underworld. The "after" are after he has established his dominance as Mexico's top pistolero.

The DSA SPAT unit (Department of Superhuman Affairs, Super Powered Anti-Terrorism). We have here Chaz Armstrong (Whiplash), Bill Wade, Johnny Rage (Scissorman), and Atlas. I sketched this on the front of a report I did. The heads are a little long and Johnny's body is a little too stocky, but I like it a lot.

A lot of High School sketches on the way, so prepare for a lot of lined paper. Here we have Jake Dangerfish and Perilous Hare. You'll notice Perilous' gun and knife are unfinished, which is all well and good considering the boots look lame. THEY HAVE NO TREAD! I really liked the piece though. Dangerfish's signature weapon is the Hustler revolver, and Perilous' is the .357 Playboy.
In their story they are air pirates who have stolen the first prototype jet engine from Her Majesty's Royal Air Navy. It's a fun story.

A pen sketch of Julio. I'd like to finish it, I think the pose is pretty cool. It was one of those things where I was just trying to learn perspective.

High school again. This is Cervantes, a machine super hero created to patrol and protect Mexico D.F. from the forces of evil. He doesn't make a distinction between life and death, so every day he reports back to his long dead creator after dropping off dead criminals in jail cells.

This one is actually from my freshman year at college. I did this during my two hour break between classes. This character is a future version of the one below. He has become corrupted by the power of The Encroaching Darkness and become a demon. His gun fires capsules of holy water with the bone shavings of saints in them. I call it the Relic Gun.

you'll notice that my boy Cujo here looks a bit like Jake Dangerfish. Every story I write has myself in it as a character. Cujo here is one of me. I never finished this, but I had kind of a Shredder thing going on here. I also did not place his sword in here, which I would still like to do.

Two characters from my zombie story, Dig and Ash. Dig has a gauntlet with bladed pincers and a short sword. The short sword can be launched from the gauntlet with a spring like a crossbow. Ash carries two Kama. He's a little less intriguing.

Julio and Jose. I originally wanted Julio to smash Jose's ribs, cut off his hands and gouge out his eye before he kicked the bucket. Jose comes back from the dead and rebuilds those parts of his body with machinery. He has machine gun hands and metal ribs. I thought that came off as really contrived so I ditched it.

The Patriarch as he appears in the 1950's. The idea is that he is basically Captain America, minus the strength and reflexes and plus a jetpack. So he's not really like Captain America at all. He's essentially our most skilled soldier, and HE CAN FREAKIN' FLY! That is rad.

Atlas is my Superman style hero. Everybody loves him yadda-yadda-ya. I don't like the idea of a superhero who can take a bullet in the eye without blinking *COUGH*, so my idea of bullet proof is more like a bullet proof vest. He has accelerated healing, immense strength, flight and sonic screams. He fought in WWII as Rot Falke, and acted as a member of the superhuman Illuminati group controlling the fate of mankind. Up in the left corner you can see a concept sketch for a satam style version of him.

And here is me again playing around with Saturday Morning Cartoon style. It was fun.

Baal is a space pirate... Even cooler than that, he is a space VAMPIRE pirate. A vampirate, if you will. Instead of UV allergy, I like my vampires to instead have violently photosensitive vision, hence the double eyepatches. Plus, it just looks damned cool.
I originally designed him as a joke character, with two eyepatches, two peglegs and two hook hands. He still has two hooks, but those "I know what you did last summer" fish hooks. He's the consummate badass of the Hephaestus crew.

And lastly, a poor unnamed Old Ways. He's important to the story of Warhowl, which is why I had a difficult time naming him. He has a large gourd on his back for booze, Ko-Za antler armguard... And I did something a little different with his dreads, tying them around his shoulder area. He is the dodgeball captain, and one of the generals of the Old Ways makeshift army when they rise up against General God King Korr of the Fine Hair... Which is a mouthful...


Anways, look forward to more of my scans soon.

Breathe out.

No comments: